CNN Arabic and Connect the World with Becky Anderson are inviting audiences in the region and beyond to help identify the person who has most influenced the Middle East in 2014. By analysing audience data from the CNN Arabic website across the year, CNN has identified ten key figures that have made the biggest impact on the region.
The ten figures range from political leaders to inspirational one-offs, as well as emblems of mass movements that are altering the region’s socio-political landscape:
- Abdel Fattah al Sisi, President of Egypt
- King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia
- Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, self-proclaimed Caliph of the ‘Islamic State’
- Barack Obama, President of the United States of America
- Benjamin Netanyahu, Prime Minister of Israel
- The Foreign Extremist Fighter
- Hassan Roubani, President of Iran
- Marian Al Mansouri, First Emirati female fighter pilot
- The Middle Eastern Refugee
- Recep Tayyip Erdogan, President of Turkey
CNN audiences can visit www.cnnarabic.com/influencer2014 to select the three names from the list that they believe most warrant the title of #Influencer2014, and the survey will run until November 25, 2014. The results will then be debated during a special CNN Arabic and Connect the World Town Hall event in the UAE, which will be broadcast in early December on CNN International.